A research essay is an important stage in the education of students in higher education institutions, which allows them to gain experience in conducting scientific research and develop skills in working with scientific materials. But how to write and format a research paper? In this article, we will look at the main stages of writing a research essay and give useful tips on how to format it.
The main task of such an essay is to prove a thesis and convince the professor that it’s reliable. If students don’t know how to prove their hypothesis correctly, they usually buy research papers. In this way, they can be sure that their papers are written correctly and that research is conducted in the right way.
In fact, all subsequent work depends on it, as well as your mood when working with it. Therefore, it should be interesting for the author and be relevant in the scientific community. When choosing a topic, one should pay attention to the availability of information sources and the possibility of conducting empirical research.
After choosing a topic, it is necessary to conduct a preliminary study of the literature on this topic. This will help to identify the current state of the problem, as well as formulate a research hypothesis. All sources used must be reliable and verified.
Drawing Up A Work Plan
After the hypothesis is formed, a work plan is drawn up. It contains a sequence of research steps, tasks to be solved, research methods used, and expected results.
Writing The Text Of The Paper
After the preparatory work, you can proceed to writing the text of the paper. First comes the introduction; it should be concise and contain the main idea of the essay. The main part should be divided into chapters and paragraphs for ease of reading; the entire text should be consistently connected.
Formatting Of The Paper
The correct format of a paper plays an important role in its successful defense. It is necessary to take into account the requirements of the educational institution for the format of the title page, content, list of references, and other elements of the essay. You should also pay attention to the format features of tables, figures, and graphs.
Research Essay Writing Tips
The right choice of topic, preparation for the study, drawing up a paper plan, and writing text and format are the main steps toward a positive assessment of the essay. But besides that, you need a little more diligence.
- Use only trusted sources of information and make sure they are reliable.
- Do not forget about citing sources and making a list of references.
- When writing text, follow the logic and sequence of thought, use clear language, and avoid complex terms and abbreviations unless they are well known.
- Check your paper for grammatical and spelling errors.
- Make sure you don’t quote too much. Try to quote only the most important, illustrative, or eloquent material. Quoting too often hides your own thoughts from readers.
- Follow the same format style, and use the same fonts, sizes, and spacing.
- Beware of using words and phrases that are stilted, pompous, or jargon. Sometimes, in an effort to appear more confident, authoritative, or sophisticated, we fill our text with such words and phrases. If you find yourself choosing certain expressions because you think they will be impressive, think about it.
- Feel free to ask for help from your supervisor or other experts in your field.
- Make sure all your words are important to the argument. Are all your words and phrases necessary? Do not say in three sentences what can be said in one, and do not use 14 words instead of five. Strive to ensure that each word in your sentence adds as much meaning and intonation as possible.
- Try to start work in advance to have enough time to prepare and conduct the study.
- Read your essay aloud. When we work on sentences, we can sometimes lose sight of the big picture of how all sentences sound when they are read quickly, one after the other, and the way your readers will read them. When you read aloud, your ear picks up some issues that your eye may miss. If something seems problematic to you, don’t hush it up. Examine the question to uncover the nature of the problem. Chances are, if something bothers you a little, it will bother your readers a lot.
A well-written research essay can become the basis for scientific publications and further research.
We hope that by using these tips, you will be able to write and defend your research paper successfully.