Classic X-writer/artist duo Chris Claremont and Salvador Larocca are rebooting their memorable X-Treme X-Men run from the early 2000s.
Fans who adored the X-Treme X-Men of the early 2000s should be ready to rejoice now that the critically acclaimed team has been announced for a comeback. For those unfamiliar, X-Treme X-Men It was first a series that debuted in 2001 and ran all the way until 2004. All 46 issues were written by Chris Claremont while the first 24 issues featured artwork from Salvador Larroca with Igor Cordey drawing the remainder of the series. The series also featured a roster compiling the likes of Sage, Rogue, Storm, Beast, Bishop, Gambit, Wolverine, and other beloved mutants.
X-Treme X-Men would later be revived almost a decade later under the writings of Greg Pak and artwork by Stephen Segovia and Paco Diaz. However, the second volume of X-Treme X-Men would be detached from the previous volume, not carrying any storylines from Claremont’s run as writer. It did, however, focus more on the X-Men mutants of the multiverse with Dazzler leading a team of familiar characters from alternate worlds.
Now, per an announcement coming out of San Diego Comic-Con, X-Treme X-Men is returning to shelves worldwide with both Claremont and Larroca at the helm. Unlike the last volume of the series, this revamp is going to take place right after the events of the duo’s original run. Kitty Pryde is expected to reunite an X-Treme X-Men roster (which promises to feature Bishop, Sage, Gambit, Rogue, Rachel Summers, Storm, and Wolverine) following a psychic attack from old enemy Ogun. Although the first issue does not have a specific date announced yet, the five-issue reboot will begin starting in November 2022. For now, readers can enjoy the cover art from Larocca below. Speaking of, the fun won’t end here as readers can also look forward to variant covers by Phil Noto, Chrissie Zullo, and Carlos Gómez which will release in the near future.
- X-Treme X-Men #1 (of 5)
- Limited Series coming November 2022
- Written by Chris Claremont
- Art by Salvador Larroca
- Cover by Salvador Larroca*
- Cat Variant Cover by Chrissie Zullo
- Variant Cover by Phil Noto
- Variant Cover by Carlos Gómez
- THE X-TREME TEAM IS BACK! Legendary X-scribe Chris Claremont reunites with artistic dynamo Salvador Larroca for an all-new story set just after the groundbreaking original run of X-TREME X-MEN! A powerful psychic attack on KITTY PRYDE from her old enemy OGUN brings the X-Treme team back together for a high-stakes mission…but what secret is Ogun hiding, and will even the combined might of BISHOP, SAGE, GAMBIT, ROGUE, RACHEL SUMMERS, STORM and WOLVERINE be enough to stop his insidious plan? The X-citement starts here, with the kickoff to the arc that will have wide-reaching implications for some of your favorite X-characters!
In many respects, Chris Claremont is considered to be the godfather of the X-Men brand. He spent 17 years straight writing for Uncanny X-Men in 1975 and since, even at age 71, continues to return to the franchise whenever possible. The name grew most popular thanks in large to writing some of the most critically acclaimed X-stories, such as the Dark Phoenix Saga and the Days of Future Past storyline. Many of his contributions helped define the X-Men for modern audiences. He understands the franchise and its universe inside and out, and thus understands the qualities which make for a great X-story.
With Salvador Larocca being arguably Claremont’s greatest dance partner behind the pencil, it’s safe to say that readers are in good hands for this one. X-Treme X-Men should be expected to be both a refreshing take on the classic team for new audiences unfamiliar with the 2001-04 run, and a welcomed return to form for those familiar with X-Men’s former glory during that time period. Audiences can keep an eye out for this X-Treme X-Men limited series at local comic book shops and digital stores starting in November 2022.
Wolverine Would Love How Kitty Pryde Used His Claws After His Death
About The Author